Friday, September 5, 2008

3 days


Three days until we make the almost day and a half journey (including layovers) to South Africa.  I know some of the plan has changed- but I do not want to get into it too deep right now because I should be asleep and will most definitely pay for it tomorrow.

I do know that we will be going to Umtata instead of Qumbu.  I also know we will be driving to Qumbu to do work.  Here is a map of the area.
Umtata is near the star and Qumbu is just North

The ocean you see is the Indian Ocean- and I think we will be able to travel there at somepoint.  We still will be building and repairing buildings- but we will also spend time in an orphanage located in Umtata, which I look forward to doing a lot.  Hopefully we will be able to provide medical care to the children there.

This may sound stupid- but I think ( and hope) that I am going to be taller than 90% of the people there- I seem to remember being much taller than them when I went in high school- so hopefully I'll be able to teach people the phrase "How's the weather up there?"  I, of course, will proceed to do a helicopter dunk then say, "The weather is good, sooooo good."
 And the clouds in the sky will vaporize.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahaha hilarious

I remember the South African kids asking how we got so tall. I think I came up with some dumb pre-med explanation involving flinstone vitamins every morning with breakfast. They gave me a weird look and went back to playing frisbee.